A Season of Knives is the second book of the Sir Robert Carey Mysteries.
- A contractor for victuals at Carlisle Castle routinely provides food that is so rotten that he is not willing to eat it himself.
- Andy Nixon is having an illicit love affair with Kate Atkinson, wife of Jemmy Atkinson.
- John Leigh lives with his family in a house next door to Jemmy Atkinson, who is his brother-in-law. Leigh's wife, Matilda Leigh, believes that she should have inherited the house the Atkinson's own.
Sunday, 2nd July 1592 Edit
- Andy Nixon was beaten by a group of men sent by Jemmy Atkinson because he was sleeping with Kate Atkinson. Long George Little participated in the beating because he happened along at the right time.
- Barnabus Cooke found the beaten Nixon and helped him to his home, then robbed him.
Monday, 3rd July 1592 Edit
- Carey was worried about Elizabeth Widdrington, Young Henry Widdrington and their party leaving for their home because the Debatable Lands were unsettled.
- The victuals contractor asked Robert Carey what his price was for not interfering with the contracts; Carey had him ejected from the castle.
Tuesday, 4th July 1592 Edit
- Jemmy Atkinson's body was discovered in an alley.
- Robert Carey learned that Barnabus Cooke had been charged by Richard Lowther with the murder of Jemmy Atkinson and that Lowther was trying to have Carey charged with ordering the murder.